Vintage Girl Scout Online Museum

Girl Scout Camps - Wisconsin


Typical Girl Scout Camp, this one for Milwaukee Girl Scouts.

Camp Alice Chester
Alice Chester Center

Manitowoc Co, WI
The original 99 acres of Camp Alice Chester was donated to the Milwaukee Girl Scouts by George Miller, the father of Alice Miller Chester in 1923. Alice was the first commissioner of Girl Scouting in Wisconsin. 
By 1924 the area was being used as a training camp for adult Girl Scouts, and open for the girls in 1925. The camp continues today, and is up to 333 acres.

1893 - 1972

Google Maps

The "25-85" and the cute mouse patches are Marie Byatt's images


Source: Milwaukee Newspaper with the date hand written on it 7-12-1972)


Mrs. William Merrill Chester, 79, the organizer of Girl Scouting in Milwaukee and granddaughter of the founder of the T. A. Chapman Co., died Wednesday of leukemia. Mrs. Chester, who had been ill for about two years, died at her home at 3590 N. Lake Dr., Shorewood. She also had a summer home at Oconomowoc Lake. She was internationally known for her work with the Girl Scout organization, activities which spanned half a century.

Her civic involvement included membership on the Lawrence University Board of Trustees, organizer and first president of the Milwaukee Junior League and trustee of the Milwaukee Art Institute. She was a member of the motor corps in France during World War I, driving trucks from base hospitals to field hospitals near the front lines. She also was a former Wisconsin women tennis champion.

Mrs. Chester's husband, William M. Chester, was board chairman of T. A. Chapman. at the time of his death in 1964. He was associated with several industrial and financial firms and was active in civic affairs.

The former Alice Miller, Mrs. Chester was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George P. Miller. Her father at one time was attorney for Lucius Nieman, longtime publisher of the Milwaukee Journal. Miller owned Journal Company stock which was later sold to Harry J. Grant, Nieman's successor. Mrs. Chester's grandfather, T. A. Chapman, founded the Chapman department store firm. Her aunt was Miss Alice Chapman, who will $1 million to the former Milwaukee-Downer College for construction of the Chapman Library. The building is now called Chapman Hall and is part of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee campus.

The children of Mr. & Mrs. Chester are Atty. George M. Chester, a partner in the law firm of Foley & Lardner; William M. Chester, jr., vice president of the Heil Co.; John C. Chester, a former diplomat and now a staff consultant for the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, and Mrs. Verne R. Read, whose husband is board chairman of the Chapman stores.

Mrs. Chester, an avid traveler both for her own enjoyment and in behalf of the Girl Scouts, took her last trip in June, 1970, when she and more than 20 family members went to Mallawi, Egypt, to visit John C. Chester, who had a diplomatic post there.

Soon afterward, Mrs. Chester was stricken with Leukemia and was unable to travel again. In 1915, following her graduation from Bryn Mawr College, Mrs. Chester organized the Junior League here.

Immediately after their marriage, she and her husband left for Franch (sic) where they both served in 1917 and 1918. She was in Paris during the shelling and later became cable secretary for the YMCA.

During the 1920's, Mrs. Chester's activities included offices in the League of Women Voters and the Woman's Club of Wisconsin.

Mrs. Chester was the first commissioner of the Milwaukee Council of Girl Scouts, organized in 1921. Her portrait hands at Camp Alice Chester at Booth Lake near East Troy, which was dedicated to her in 1925.

Her interest in youth work, particularly with Girl Scouts, continued through nearly five decades. She served on the Girl Scouts Great Lakes Regional Committee and held various offices at the national and international level with the Scouts. She headed the Girl Scout mariner program here. She was assistant world treasurer, vice chairman of the Juliette Low World Friendship committee and chairman of the committee which maintains the Girl Scout World Center in Adelboden, Switzerland. Mrs. Chester wore her Girl Scout uniform in 1943 when she christened the wartime cargo ship Cape Bon at Wilmington, Del.

In 1967, though a grandmother and 74 years old, she was chosen by Gov. Warren Knowles to be general chairman of the governor's 10th conference on children and youth. She reacted with her customary enthusiasm for stimulating interest in young people.

As a young matron, Mrs. Chester was noted for ability to lay tennis and for her sailing ability. The Chesters spent summers at Oconomowoc Lake and were active in sailing and fox hunting there. Mrs. Chester served on the Milwaukee-Downer Board of Trustees from 1931 to 1964. She became a member of the Lawrence University board when the two schools consolidated in 1964.

Bryn Mawr gave Mrs. Chester a distinguished service citation in 1960, citing her civic activities. Mount Mary College presented her with its 1967 Pro Urbe medal for outstanding civic service. In September, 1970, Lawrence University granted her an honorary doctor of humane letters degree. Services will be at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 914 E. Knapp St. Burial will be in Forest Home Cemetery.

The family suggests contributions to the Girl Scouts of Milwaukee County, Lawrence University and the University School of Milwaukee.

Beloit Girl Scout Service Center
1201 Big Hill, Beloit, WI

Camp Birchrock
near Rhinelander, WI

Camp Black Hawk
Clear Lake, Elton, WI

Girl Scout Camp at Black River

Camp Birch Trails
Olivotti Lake Rd, Irma, WI 

Camp Blackhawk

Camp Brandenburg
Dane Co. WI

Girl Scouts at Camp Brandenburg, 1951

Camp Chalk Hills
White Rapids, WI
110 miles north of Appleton
175 acres
Formally Dedicated July 21, 1940

Camp Chapman Hills
East Troy, WI

Camp  Chickagami
BSA property
Sunset Lake, near Nelsonville, Westfield Co. WI

Camp Chippewa Bay
New Auburn, WI

Chinook Program Center and Activity Station
Waukesha, WI

Girl Scout Camp at Clam Lake
LacBaie Girl Scout Camp

Camp Clover
Compton's Woods
Waukesha, WI

Camp Cho-Taka-Tipi
Devil's Lake, WI


Camp Cuesta

north of Sturgeon Bay, Door Co, WI
Cuesta means: Limestone Bridge

De Land Girl Scout House
926 Broughton Dr. Sheboygan, WI
Former Girl Scout Little House, currently for sale

Google Maps

Camp Del O'Claire
3605 Northwestern Ave. Schofield, WI 
40 acres

Google Maps

Camp Echo Valley
Hollandale, WI

Camp Ehawee
Mindoro, WI
308 acres

Camp Evelyn
Camp Evelyn Heronymus
Officially Dedicated September 27, 1953
Camp was named after the wife of John Heronymus; Evelyn Cler Bloom Heronymus Graefe. After John passed away in 1952 she remarried, moved away to Florida and died in 1984.

Camp Geonkenlow

Green Bay Girl Scout Camp
Wabeno, WI

Camp Greenwood
Picnic Point, Madison, WI


Happy Hollow Program Center
Lake Geneva, WI

Camp Hickory Hill

 Edgerton, WI

Camp Hickory Point
Durand, WI

Camp Hoard Curtis
Lake Ripley, WI

Camp Ishnala
Memory Lake, WI
Ishnala means Land of Peace
Up for Sale

Camp Juniper Knoll
Camp Pleasant
Lake Pleasant, WI

Property donated in 1929 to Girl Scouts by the owners of Nash Motors.


Google Maps

Kenosha Girl Scout Camp
Troy Center, WI

Kohler Girl Scout Camp at Waelderhaus

La Crosse Girl Scout Service Center
La Crosse, WI

Girl Scout Camp at Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva, WI

Camp Leaning Pine
Cedar Lake, WI
The first Girl Scout Camp in Wisconsin, 1919

Girl Scout Camp at Long Lake
Kettle Moraine State Park, WI
BSA property

Girl Scout Camp at Long Lake
YWCA property

Madison Girl Scout Service Center
2710 Ski Lane, Madison WI

Camp Manitou
Two Rivers Area
Shoto, WI

Vandalism was a constant problem at Camp Manitou.

Marinette Girl Scout Camp
Marinette-Menonomie Girl Scout Camp
Lake Noquebay, Crivitz, WI

Marion Chester Read Center
Milwaukee, WI

The blue circle shows the sculpture of the Chrysalis by Beth Sahagian, a Indiana limestone and bronze work. 1990 - Dedicated to Girl Scouts
Google maps

Miner Camp at Gardner Dam

Menasha, WI

Camp Nawakwa
Eau Claire, WI
185 acres
Former BSA camp

Girl Scout Camp at Nepco Lake
Nepco Lake, WI

Camp Northern Hills

Camp Northwoods
63275 Camp 1 Road, Delta, WI
420 acres

Camp Northwoods is located in Mason, Wisconsin, an hour east of Duluth. Set on 420 acres and surrounded by the Chequamegon National Forest,
 Camp Northwoods has the feel of the pristine wilderness yet offers modern amenities for girls.
Robbi  " Nite-N-Gale " Moore  Life time Scout and Alumnae assn member

Thanks for the info Nite-N-Gale!

Camp Norwesco
New Auburn, WI

Oakwood Knoll
80 acres

Girl Scout Camp on Onaway Island
Waupaca, Chain O'Lakes, WI

Camp Peco
Kewanee Co, WI
40 acres 

Plateville Girl Scout Service Center
Plateville, WI

Camp Pokonokah Hills
New Auburn, Chippewa Co. WI

Camp Pottawatomie Hills
near Troy Center or East Troy, WI

Google Maps
(Thank you D.J.!)

Racine Girl Scout Service Center
Racine, WI

Camp Rolling Ridges
Rolling Ridges Program Center
Hudson, WI
555 acres
Decommissioned Oct. 3, 2010 

Camp Ro-Ki-Li-O
Camp Ro-Ki-Li
Camp Rokilio
BSA property

Original name: Girl Scout Camp at Cedar Lake (the first official Girl Scout camp in Wisconsin)

Camp Roundelay
11148 E. Red Lake Road, Minong, WI
620 acres

Camp Sacajawea
2.5 miles ease on Chestnut St
Lake Tapawingo, Grand Rapids, WI
Originally 40 acres
Formal Dedication June 1940

Google Maps

Vandalism is a constant, chronic problem

Only in a Girl Scout Camp!

Camp Stetler
Highway Q, Richland Center, WI
160 acres
Camp was the childhood home and donated to the Girl Scouts by Dr. Pearl Stetler, a Chicago physician.

Camp Shaganappi
14 miles north of Ford du Lac on Lake Winnebago, WI
BSA property
Shaganappi means leather cord, lash, rope

Camp Silverbrook
Silverbrook Program Center
Lucas Lake, West Bend, WI
Camp continues today, and I'm sure it's a happy place.

Please send in any HAPPY information about this camp!

Camp  Sinawa
Manitowoc Girl Scout Camp
BSA property

Google Maps

Camp Singing Hills
Green Lake, WI

Camp Singing Hills, an overnight camp for the past 50 years, is being closed due to a lack of interest,
 Racine County Girl Scout leaders said last week. 2003


Camp Tesomas

BSA property

Camp Tiwaushara

Camp Ti-Waushara
4315 Brown Deer Court, Redgranite, WI

Mortgage Burning!

Trefoil Oaks Program Center
Kenosha, WI

Camp Vic-To-Rae
Camp Victor Thomas
near Northport, WI
Little Wolf River
17 acres
named for Victor and Rachel Thomas 
1940s, still active in 1972

Camp White Deer
near Three Lakes, WI
Closed 1974

Camp Winding River

Neosho, WI

Camp Winnecomac

1726 Hillcrest Drive
Kaukauna, WI

Does this article even need a date? Isn't this true every year?

Camp Wi-Gi-Sco-Ca
Winona Girl Scout Camp
Trempealeau, WI
750 acres
Wi-Gi-Sco-Ca = Winona Girl Scout Camp

Camp Windego
Wild Rose, WI

Camp Woodhaven
Kenosha Service Center
Kenosha, WI
Home of the Challenge Course



Girl Scout Camps State By State

Amazing but true Girl Scout Camp Stories!  |  Girl Scout Camps A to Z  |  Alabama  |  Alaska  |  Arizona  |  Arkansas  |  California  |  Colorado  |  Connecticut  |  Delaware  |  District of Columbia  |  Florida  |  Georgia  |  GSUSA Camps - Europe, Africa and Mediterranean  |  GSUSA Camps - Pacific  |  Hawaii  |  Idaho  |  Illinois  |  Indiana  |  Iowa  |  Kansas  |  Kentucky  |  Louisiana  |  Maine  |  Maryland  |  Massachusetts  |  Michigan  |  |  Minnesota  |  Mississippi  |  Missouri  |  Montana  |  Nebraska  |  Nevada  |  New Hampshire  |  New Jersey  |  New Mexico  |  New York  |  North Carolina  |  North Dakota  |  Ohio  |    Oklahoma  |  Oregon  |  Pennsylvania  |  Puerto Rico  |  Rhode Island  |  South Carolina  |  South Dakota  |  Tennessee  |  Texas  |  U.S. Territories  |  Utah  |  Vermont  |  Virginia  |  Washington  |  West Virginia  |  Wisconsin  |  Wyoming