Vintage Girl Scout Online Museum

 

Wing Girl Scouts

 

Officially, the Wing Scouting program for Senior Girl Scouts began in 1941, but like all programs it had spent years being tested and researched before it's official launch.
 
 Once the United States entered World War II, the Wing program took on a new importance as civic duty took front stage in the day to day life of Girl Scouts.

wings.jpg
 
1946-1980

Unlike the Mariner Girl Scout program, there never was an official Wing Scout uniform. However, this 1945 catalog image clearly shows that the standard Senior Uniform was certainly acceptable for the Wing Scouts.

 

wingpic.jpg

Vintage Calendar Picture

 

50wing.jpg

Senior Interest Patch 1955

60wings.jpg

Senior Interest Patch 1960

 
 
 
 

wingpatchv.jpg

This patch was sewn to the uniform pocket.

 

1945

1949

 

 
wings1.jpg
 
1955
The first formal printed information on the Wing program was a packet that was described in theSenior Girl Scouting in War Time. A 4-page pamphlet was produced in 1944, and a 16-page booklet was issued in 1945, quickly followed by a 20-page edition.

 

chevronsx.jpg

(Deb Friedman's Uniform)

At first there was no official insignia to denote the special ratings of the Wing Scouting program, but that changed in 1955. A Wing Scout Analyst earned her silver wings pin. A Wing Scout Traveler was one chevron, Wing Scout Navigator 2 chevrons, Wing Scout Technician 3 chevrons and a Wing Scout Pilot added the propeller to the top of the 3 chevrons. A Wing Scout Pilot had earned her Pilot's certificate and (or) was an Assistant Leader to a Wing Scout Troop. Chevrons were gold on dark green felt.

Vintage Calendar Picture

 

Girl Scouting was well ahead of the times by offering an Aviation badge from 1916-1920, however it is not thought that anyone earned the badge. It was reintroduced in 1947.

Earning the Aviation badge while still an Intermediate or Cadette Girl Scout was considered a head start on the Wing Scout program.

airplanep.jpg

image from handbook

airbadgec.jpg

 

wingencamp.jpg
(Deb Friedman's Wing Encampment Patch)
 
Deb Friedman was kind enough
 to share the following information; 
 the 3 chevrons on the uniform are one unit.
 The Rockwood Encampment in 1960
was the first of it's kind in the region.
There were to be 75 participants,
 including Canadian Air Rangers.
Deb also donated the image
of the dark green bordered Wing patch
shown on this page and the Senior Interest Patch page.